Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Amateur Musician Himself

Hi there! Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself as an amateur musician who loves music alot. In those two decades of being a musician, I still consider myself as amateur (because that's what I really am). My initial motive for this blog was just to make analysis of some popular modern songs that I'd be picking, but then I have thought of sharing some music stuff that I have gathered for quite some time now and organize them here. So basically, I have put this one up for my fellow musicians of varying skill (and maybe passion too) levels and music lovers alike.

As for the song analysis entries, I am not very sure that this is a right thing to do that I'd be giving out most of my most neutral comments on some of the most renowned music (maybe mostly on original songs of different genres, but I may also tackle on renditions, revivals, rearranged and artists too). I'm sure in the process, I'd be hearing from various fans (depending on how widespread this blog will be).

As much as I want to make in depth analysis of the songs I'll be picking, I'd rather not go too deep nor too technical as it may appear unnecessarily long.

Also, for limitations, I will only dwell on the songs themselves - I will not go through their music videos, and I will not relate a certain song to another song by the same or another artist. I may seem appear not too keen on the percussion and in the guitar effects as I don't have much experience on them (I was more of a "raw musician").

But bear in mind, I am just an amateur - pretty much bound to miss a lot of things so bear with me in that. Everyone is free to make any kind of comment :)

I have been listening and actually making silent critics and praises to a number of songs already for some two or three years already, but I never wrote them down and organize them into one big pile of junk. Now, I have thought of actually compiling these down into this blog, with honestly no motive nor objective behind.

Aside from those, I will try to share as much music stuff that I got here. :)

So, in a nutshell, what kind of a musician I am?

I have been learning how to play music since I was six years old. So that's almost twenty years ago. Since then, I have learned how to play the piano (since I was six), the guitar (since I was nine) and the violin (just occasionally since 2001). Almost all of these learnings are self learned. But since I have been the type of musician (at least on the latter days), that doesn't really play hard to practice alot everyday, my skills are still intermediate.

Aside from that, I have been singing maybe since I was ten years old, but never sang solo until I was eighteen when I was almost forced to sing by my high school friends (thank you guys - I owe you alot!). And just recently, I have unconsciously trained myself to reach two octaves (around A2 or A#2 upto B4, but may can still linger around C4 or C#4 - normal range for tenor) without the use of falsetto, and can extend to another octave with falsetto. Three octaves - not bad for an amateur vocalist who doesn't have solo singing exposure at all. I won't go further share the quality of my voice here - let's just go do a videoke session if you want to know :)

So maybe this is the real deal. I'd rate my perfect listening pitch skill (a skill that mainly uses your pair of ears - to determine the notes you hear almost instantly) around 8.5 out of 10. This is the skill that I trained myself so hard to have since I was still in high school, when I really didn't have songhits or piano pieces or even tablatures with me, and just relied entirely on my own ears to decipher and arrange songs in my head. This is maybe the critical skill why right now I'm doing this thing.

I can definitely play live music, but I am thinking I am the kind of a musician who likes and who would be better behind the scenes, half of it enjoying the music as being played, and half of it trying to dissect and forming comments on the different parts and components of the music themselves (there was actually a time I was just watching a live band trying to analyze every note and beat they play, and not enjoying the music - it tends to be a curse at times). I am someone who can dissect and pull notes out of a song and make either a piano piece or a tablature out of it. But at times, I cannot play some of the stuff I write with the speed it was intended to have.

And yeah, I may have touched on writing my own songs a bit, but I just sucked at writing the lyrics.

So there, I'm not sure how's going to work, we'll see what happens. Maybe soon I can somehow get some musicians to write for this blog. Happy reading! :) KEEP THE MUSIC ROLLING!

2 comments:

  1. ... crash course in music and you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. walang crash course dito hahahahaha mga saloobin lang to :P

    ReplyDelete